ADHS & Zuggand
Arizona Department of Health Services migrates to the Cloud
Arizona Department of Health Services
transforms its organization by migrating to AWS.
The Arizona Department of Health Services, the agency responsible for promoting and protecting the health of Arizona’s children and adults, partners with Zuggand to migrate its health information portal to Amazon Web Services and help transform to a more strategic and agile IT organization.
“By shifting our public facing websites and supporting infrastructure into AWS, we’ve proven that ADHS can be more agile and flexible with the help of Cloud technologies. This realization has opened up new ways of thinking for how we use our IT infrastructure, which has already resulted in creative and productive results.”
-Raghu Ramaswamy (Chief Technology Officer)
The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) is an agency within the State of Arizona with a mission to promote, protect, and improve the health and wellness of individuals and communities in Arizona. The agency operates various programs in behavioral health, disease prevention and control, health promotion, community public health, environmental health, maternal and child health, emergency preparedness and regulation of childcare and assisted living centers, nursing homes, hospitals, other health care providers and emergency services.
The agency is committed to providing the public and the media with health information in a timely, accurate and helpful manner through its website (www.azdhs.gov) and is continually striving to make this resource a friendlier, easier way of accessing the vast array of programs it provides.
ADHS needed to improve the capacity of its systems infrastructure and website to better support its customers. Traffic to the website is highly volatile: high utilization for a few weeks of the year and low to medium utilization for the remainder. This variability has led to website/system overload during peak periods and large capital expenditures paired with high costs for underutilized IT assets and infrastructure during troughs.
ADHS required a solution that would:
- Accommodate fluctuations in demand with high availability and scalability.
- Improve the presentation of its public face with an attractive and reliable website for promoting high-profile events, such as Opioid Epidemic and Zika Outbreak.
- Reflect the true costs of infrastructure use (i.e. pay only for what you use).
- Enable in-house website and systems management groups to accomplish department requests in the future quickly and effectively.
- Re-engineer the code promotion process between environments.
- Encourage a more innovative development and test environments.
- Build automation into various process flows using DevSecOps.
List of Projects
- Cloud Discovery: ADHS Cloud readiness assessment. The project involved Zuggand doing a high-level assessment of ADHS’s technology infrastructure, software applications, data, security, operations and personnel using its standard consulting approach.
- Extranet Re-architecture & Migration: Migration of ADHS extranet to AWS. The project involved re-engineering the business process and re-architecting the application to take advantage of managed and higher-level services as much as possible thereby improving the operations and bringing efficiencies to the agency.